Summer Internships (Dominican Republic)
2018 Trip leaders
At BLUE Missions, our work is made possible by the passionate dedication of our volunteers and interns.
Interns lead by example on our service trips, by embodying a solid work ethic, cultural awareness, and compassion. This internship will be demanding, but it will be ever more rewarding. Each day you will be waking up before the sun, hiking through unbelievable landscapes, overseeing work schedules, independently making decisions, managing the safety of a team of volunteers, and spearheading group meetings. There will be times where you will laugh until you cry, fall in love with entire communities, and build bonds with new people you never expected could impact you so profoundly in such a short time.
What you'll GAIN from this internship:
- Develop leadership skills.
- Learn how to use tools to efficiently build water and sanitation systems.
- Learn about operating an international nonprofit.
- Problem solve in the field (think on your feet).
- Mentor high school and university students.
- Cultivate your passion for service.
- Develop confidence in your ability to make a difference.
What you'll GIVE in this internship:
- 100% of your time and energy.
- Compassion for local beneficiaries.
- Drive to complete projects.
- Guidance to trip participants.
- Support to BLUE staff in the field.
Summer Interns Cycle #1
June 8 - July 13, 2018
Summer Interns Cycle #2
July 14 - August 18, 2018
As a summer intern you will be working in the Dominican Republic alongside our Dominican and US staff in the execution of our projects. You will work directly under our Program Directors. Prior to arriving in the field, you will participate in mandatory Leader Workshops.
(Internships in Nicaragua are offered by invitation only. If you are interested, email email@example.com)
- Trip Leader
- Lead 3 Service Trips
- Liaison between the volunteers and the community
- Organize and schedule the overall calendar of the trips
- Schedule daily work groups
- Lead morning meditations and evening reunions
- Work in the kitchen with the cooks at every meal
- Participate in town meetings and water committee reunions
- Visit communities prior to group arrivals
- Document every trip and special activities through photography and videos
- Take inventory of all materials - pre and post trip
- Send out service letters to volunteers post trip
- Collect trip testimonials from participants
- You're inspired to change the world
- You're a mover and a shaker
- You're a current university Sophomore, Junior, or Senior in the University or a recent graduate. If you are a current university Freshman and are interested, you must have had participated on 3 BLUE trips.
- You want to live in a different country for a few weeks.
- You have the ability to problem solve independently and have a strong self-initiative
- You have strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Internship fee of $500 covers:
- Airfare (round-trip flight from Miami, FL)
- In-country transportation
- Lodging and most meals
- Travel Insurance
- College credit could be received for this internship. Make sure to talk to your advisor and see if it is feasible. We will be happy to fill out any paperwork you may need to get the college credit
- Participate in workshop trainings prior to the summer of 2018
- Take a first-aid and CPR course online before your start date.